POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Volumetric Non-media clouds (320x240) : Volumetric Non-media clouds (320x240) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 16:30:58 EDT (-0400)
  Volumetric Non-media clouds (320x240)
From: SamuelT
Date: 11 Apr 2000 01:03:36
Message: <38F2B256.E12E59E9@aol.com>
Okay, these are really volume clouds this time. I stumbled on the
technique today (goofing around at work). I was playing with
motion_blur, finding ways to exploit its properties. On a whim I decided
to add the clock value to the threshold of an isosurface. To my
surprise, it appeared to have volumetric properties. I kept on prodding,
amazed it was actually creating shadows and stuff. I went with it, until
I got the render you see before you. I didn't add the clouds to a plane
density, since it increases the render time.

What do you all think? Do these clouds have promise? I already know the
answer to that question :) They render faster than media, according to
my limited comparison studies. I'd like to see somebody with more mhz do
something with them. This image took 30 minutes and 49 seconds on my
P166 mhz without aa.

//*************Code!

global_settings{ motion_blur 20,1 }

background{<.4 .6 .8>}

#declare Tex=function{pigment{bumps scale .5 turbulence .25
color_map{[.5 rgb 1][1 rgb 0]}}}

motion_blur{
 isosurface{
  function Tex(x,y,z)+.1
  threshold .5+clock sign 1
  accuracy .01 method 2 eval
  contained_by{box{-1,1}}
  pigment{rgb 1} finish{diffuse .85 ambient<.4 .6 .8>*.35}
  double_illuminate
 }
}

--
Samuel Benge

E-Mail: STB### [at] aolcom

Visit the still unfinished isosurface tutorial:
http://members.aol.com/stbenge

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'blur_clouds.jpg' (11 KB)